Artificial Intelligence and Visual Analytics: A Deep-Learning Approach to Analyze Hotel Reviews & Responses
- Chih Hao Ku, College of Business and Information Technology, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, Michigan, United States
- Yung-Chun Chang, Graduate Institute of Data Science, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
- Yichuan Wang, Newcastle University, London, United Kingdom
- Chien-Hung Chen, Graduate Institute of Data Science, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
- Shih-Hui Hsiao, College of Business and IT, Lawrence Tech. University, Southfield, Michigan, United States
AbstractWith a growing number of online reviews, consumers often rely on these reviews to make purchase decisions. However, little is known about managerial responses to online hotel reviews. This paper reports on a framework to integrate visual analytics and machine learning techniques to investigate whether hotel managers respond to positive and negative reviews differently and how to use a deep-learning approach to prioritize responses. In this study, forty 4- and 5-star hotels in London with 91,051 reviews and 70,397 responses were collected and analyzed. Visual analyses and machine learning were conducted. The results indicate most hotels (72.5%) showing no preference to respond to positive and negative reviews. Our proposed deep-learning approach outperformed existing algorithms to prioritize responses.
Return to previous page